Skip to main content

Gushing over The Queen of Spades


It is common for those of us who work in opera (and probably also those who don't) to take works for granted. What I mean is that we sit and consider a future season, rake through the works that are on the list, imagine people in the roles etc. And then sort of judge the whole thing on the reputation it has, as much as on the extent to which we might admire or like the work.  Boheme is a good example of this; it's Boheme, right?  So it is about time we did it - but I'll be honest, it is a long time since I sat and listened to it on CD. Yet when it gets into the theatre and you start to hear it in detail, live,  with the orchestra rehearsing, you again realise how very, very good it is. 

Some operas you may listen to more frequently as you sit on a bus or do some work, but when it gets into the theatre, with a staging, when all that narrative music begins to make perfect sense, the opera in question can take on an even more profound dimension. This is what is happening with Queen of Spades at the moment and it hit home with real force yesterday as I sat and listened to the sitz probe. As the first time to hear cast and orchestra together, the sitz is always exciting and revealing, and of course there are the musical team's technical processes of getting balance right (especially in our peculiar pit arrangement) to interest you. But the most exciting thing about yesterday's rehearsal was realising again, but with bells on, just how remarkable an opera The Queen of Spades is. I have always preferred it to Onegin, but sometimes, one wonders if a preference is based simply on the premise of the opera rather than its music and I think in this instance it is probably both elements that elevate it beyond probably anything Tchaikovsky composed operatically (I reserve judgement on Mazeppa which I love but haven't seen in a theatre). 

QoS has that quality where the entire opera makes you feel uncomfortable, anxious, excited, moved, and never in a predictable way. The virtual incantation of "three cards" throughout is dread personified. There are other operas like this; Turn of the Screw springs to mind. But QoS does it with more lavishly beautiful music - is the final hymn the most wondrous thing in Tchaikovsky's rep? - with not a wasted note, not a scintilla of fluff or nonsense and motifs that bore into you with devilish persistence.  

And what of the singers? Peter Wedd drew applause from his colleagues and the orchestra- no mean feat! And of course there is Rosalind Plowright, her assumption of the Countess is, I can tell you, a terrifying, physical creation as well as a vocally commanding one. Watching the first tech rehearsals, she basically shit the life out of me.  Natalya Romaniw has been hoovering up praise all summer after her Onegin at Garsington, but one of the most exciting things about sopranos "on the rise" is that each time you hear them, there is a change in their voice, a growth or a blossoming. I have had the pleasure of hearing this development over several years from Gioielli, through L'amore dei tre Re and now into this Lisa in QoS. Her Act 3 aria Akh! istomilas ya goryem wasfrankly, breathtaking. My seven year old daughter, Fiora, had popped by the theatre and sat with me to watch it too, and from that relentless introduction of strings and funereal trumpet to her last note, we were both utterly transfixed. That is no mean feat, either! Audiences have a real treat in store. 

We have had such a strong season - everybody seems happy and excited by what they have seen on stage at Holland Park. But the past couple of weeks has been Rossini and Straussian waltz, so it will be good to get back to anxiety, horror, heartbreak and music of such gravitas. I am also aware that it is  unusual for me to express such views before a show: I think the last time I was so publicly excited was before Francesca da Rimini and the first review from David Nice tore it a new fundament (it got much better thereafter). But as my twitter profile says, "often wrong, but never in doubt."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gelb and The Met

Having posted a piece that was kind to critics and thus risking opprobrium from all quarters, I suppose I ought to be wary of writing a piece that is sympathetic to the current opera demon, Peter Gelb.  Let us be clear, I don't know what the detailed financial situation at the Met is, I don't know how its budgets are split and allocated, I don't know how much they spend on sets and productions. I just read selective figures used negatively and that is always something we should be wary of.  What Gelb and the Met are going through is probably entirely unique in the opera world given the scale of economics involved and the accusations of mismanagement that are being thrown around are hard to reconcile with some of the realities; it is certainly true, for example, that Gelb has taken the Met's turnover from $222 million to over $300 million in eight years which doesn't immediately suggest mismanagement, but that is as glib and superficial an analysis as anything else I

Honorary Doctorate acceptance speech

I have been asked for the text of my acceptance speech from the graduation ceremony at Oxford Brookes University, 20th June, 2016. The audience was 170 graduates, in various arts, performing, publishing and other creative disciplines, as well as hundreds of their family members. My intention was to confirm that in an age of undervalued arts education, their choices were the correct ones; that despite the prevailing desire of the government for more engineers, mathematicians and computer experts, their talents would come to be as valued as any others. ----------- It is with great surprise and pleasure that I come here today to accept this honorary doctorate, the giving of which is met with more pride than I can actually express. To be recognised by an academic institution is not something I ever thought possible as I grew up. My two oldest children have achieved far more than I have in academia, but, as a competitive Dad I just want to say to them…erm, Doctor?! I am also honoured

Sometimes, facts really don't matter to people

Since the Brexit vote, and especially since the recent Autumn statement, there has been something familiar nagging at me; the remarkable refusal of Brexiters to accept or acknowledge the facts set out by the government and in the OBR's forecasts. It reminds me of something, a feeling I have had before. I know that the expression post-truth annoys a lot of people, but it is a thing, it really exists. People, for whatever reason can knowingly refuse to accept bare facts when it suits them. It isn't a new phenomenon at all. I am bound to say, moreover, that I have tended to experience it in a malign sense, when the things people want to believe are unconscionable or driven by prejudice of one kind or another. Last night I remembered where it was that I had last seen the phenomenon and it was an experience that left me astonished at the time, but which also provoked in me a genuine disgust for my fellow citizens. I am afraid it is an unpleasant parallel scenario, but it was pro